Long gone are the old marketing days that relied on billboards, mailers, and cold calls. While they might have had their place in the marketing world at one time, those tactics simply just don’t fit in today’s ever-evolving marketing world; they’re completely outmoded and relegated to the annals of marketing oblivion.
Our world has become digital. People connect digitally, networking via myriad platforms and socially connected forums and apps. And one major reason those old methods just can’t survive in this digital world is because today’s consumers don’t respond well anymore to impersonal gestures, sales pitches, and advertising.
The reason the digital age is in full force – and is only getting bigger – is because of that cherished connectivity they experience. They want something with substance, something that makes them feel like they belong – like the brands they follow actually care about them. This is what they experience through social media with friends and family, and it makes them feel good. It gives them a sense of identity, purpose, and loyalty. And this is what they will generate responsiveness and engagement when it comes to marketing.
The Undeniable Impact
Indeed, digital marketing is the future. It will affect everybody in some way, shape, or form. Whether it’s personal, financial, or commercial, there will be no way around it. Today, brands, businesses, and organizations are spending millions of dollars a month simply to invest in their strategies with digital marketing, e-commerce, social media, and mobile trends to generate leads.
Consider some of these statistics:
- Out of every 6 people, at least one works with internet-related media to promote business.
- Mobile ads alone earn roughly $5 billion a year.
- When social media is part of a buyer’s journey, conversion rates can reach 129%.
- 73% of surveyed customers agreed that content with a strong personality helps to form loyal relationships.
- In 2016, the average ROI for email marketing campaigns was 4,300%.
- Personalized email messages improve click-through rates and conversions by 10%.
- By 2019, video content will account for 80% of global internet traffic and 85% in the U.S. alone.
- In 2013, roughly 15 million people bought at least one mobile phone a day.
And this is just a sample of the staying power and bright future that digital marketing holds. Not to mention, with such an impressive surge in popularity, effectiveness, and relevancy of digital marketing, the job market is in high demand. It has created a wealth of opportunities and job vacancies the likes of which the marketing world has never seen.
Today, more than half of internal office work is performed digitally. Soon, it will encompass all office tasks. Ask any small business – they’ll tell you much of their work is done remotely. Businesses are not only in competition to attract customers digitally, but also to attract a skilled workforce.
If you think enough information has already been presented to you in favor of the argument for why digital marketing is the future, here are the top 5 reasons:
- You will find everyone online. We all know how many people have smart phones and at least one type of social media account. But consider this interesting fact – users over the age of 55 has increased on social media; this is up by nearly 80% over the last few years. One of the fastest growing demographics is one that is not your typical target audience. The fact now is that you can connect with just about anyone and every imaginable audience you can think of. This opens the gates so much wider and makes the playing field so much easier, if you know what you’re doing. Which relates to…
- You can broaden your reach. While a marketing method like cold calling is time spent and most often wasted in a one-on-one setting, and things like billboards are only seen for a few transitory seconds (or just ignored), digital marketing can reach everyone who is online. There is hardly much limitation anymore when you’ve got the world at your fingertips. You have this opportunity afforded to you to grow your reach exponentially, and that is not an opportunity to squander. While word-of-mouth still holds a sacred place in every company’s heart of marketing, social media and the internet allow people to share content, helping your brand spread as well. This is what underlies viral marketing, which is the new ultimate goal to set.
- You will find prospects where they are comfortable. Because prospects are all going to be online at some point, and because the popularity of social media and content sharing is at an all-time high, chances are good that you will find them doing what they enjoy doing and where they feel comfortable being themselves. This is your opportunity to distribute content, case studies, testimonials, etc. Your leads are right there waiting.
- You can establish your authority. When you are able to create relevant content that separates you from the competition, you will stand out. When your loyal base is comfortable enough sharing your content, you establish authority. Not only that, you earn trust and build your brand’s reputation. If prospects can find proof of your skills and validity and relevancy online, especially through their own social circle, they’re more likely to engage with you. Everyone is online for a reason: they fulfill their needs and find what they’re looking for. If they trust you, they will be convinced that you’ve got what they need.
- You will save money. Yeah, it’s true. Digital marketing is more cost effective. It’s a common misconception that it is more expensive. It can be if you don’t know how to navigate the waters and wind up shrinking your ROI and damaging your brand. But if it aligns with your overall strategy, you’ll certainly be able to reap the benefits. This is quite easily the most valuable resource you can have right now. While it’s important to give value to time, it’s important to know that the time is now. If you can get a firm grasp around digital marketing, it could help streamline the rest of your goals.
It’s not difficult to see the massive impact the internet has on the world at large, and it shouldn’t be difficult to see how much digital marketing can have a massive effect as well. Marketing itself has always been an integral part of our economy, and with advancements in technology breaking ground and being consumed by the public at such a rapid rate, the future is here and now, all the time, and the future is digital marketing.
If you need assistance with your digital marketing strategy , our team of trusted experts is here to guide you. Get in touch with us today.